Today is national badge day I thought that it would be fitting to share 7 benefits of being in a sorority. This post is part of Southern Belle in Training’s International Badge Day link-up! I know that sororities tend to get a bad rep so I’m here to share with you the many benefits of being in a sorority.
7 Benefits of Being in a Sorority
- Leadership opportunities // When I was in college, I got to hold a variety of different leadership positions in my chapter. This helped me strengthen my resume and become a more confident person overall.
- Meeting new people // I was able to meet tons of people that I may not have met otherwise just by joining a sorority. Of course you get this opportunity when you’re in any organization, but it was something I was seeking to do when I joined my freshman year so being able this was really important to me.
- Community Service // I loved doing community service in high school and knew I wanted to continue participating in college. When I went through recruitment and found out that philanthropy was such a big part of Greek life, I was sold.
- Strong Academic Focus // You have to maintain good grades to remain in good standing in a sorority. If you didn’t make grades, you weren’t allowed to do the fun stuff. I wanted to be able to attend social events and hold offices so I always tried to keep my grades up.
- Networking Opportunities // Whenever I first joined a sorority, I didn’t realize the impact that networking would have. When searching for a job, I contacted some local alumni to see if they had any recommendations and they were more than willing to help.
- Better Time Management Skills // I know for a fact that if I hadn’t joined a sorority, my time management skills would be pretty lacking. Because being in a sorority means you need to be able to juggle school, sorority and a variety of other responsibilities, you learn how to manage your time from the get go.
- Diversity // I got to meet tons of unique women that I may have never crossed paths with if it wasn’t for joining my sorority. Being a part of an organization that brought together a diverse group of women made my Greek life experience even better.
Are/were you in a sorority? Let me know about your experience down in the comments.
Related: Lessons I Learned from Being Greek
Become a Breakfast at Lilly's Insider
Sign up today and receive your FREE daily blogging checklist!