If you’ve read the title of this post, you would know that I just recently turned 24. Today I am going to be sharing 24 lessons in 24 years. I absolutely cannot believe that I am already 24. I feel like each year just flies by faster than the previous one, I guess that’s just how growing up works, eh? This year is going to be a pretty big year for me and I am rather stoked for what 2016 will hold. Now onto sharing my 24 lessons in 24 years. I hope you enjoy my 24 lessons in 24 years!
24 Lessons in 24 Years
- Not everyone is going to like you and that’s okay // I am a pretty big people pleaser so it really bothers me when people don’t like me especially when I feel like they don’t really have a reason not to but this is one big lesson that I’ve learned more recently and am happy I finally got over this.
- You can do anything, but you can’t do everything // This is kind of an obvious one but I tend to overwork myself and try to do absolutely everything at once but I have learned that this just isn’t possible and will only leave you feeling both tired and stressed out.
- Adulting probably won’t get easier for quite awhile // I wish that I could say that I figured out the key to being an adult, but I haven’t quite yet. I still wake up every Monday morning feeling exhausted and not too excited for the day ahead.
- Holding grudges aren’t worth it // I have never really been big on holding grudges but in the few instances that I did, I realized it really wasn’t worth it. Holding onto anger and pent up negative energy can take a toll on you.
- Don’t be afraid to step outside the box // For a big chunk of my life, I lived in a little bubble rarely venturing out and trying new things but finally realized that it wasn’t in my best interest to keep doing so. Now I try more exotic foods and basically try to shoot for the stars instead of limiting myself to what I already know.
- Once you graduate college, you find out who your true friends are // This was kind of a difficult pill to swallow at first because it’s a little hurtful when people you used to talk to on a daily basis don’t really reach out to you much anymore but it’s life and it happens.
- Don’t bottle up your emotions // I used to do this and then I would end up exploding on someone so I quickly realized that this wasn’t the most productive way to go about things so now I talk about how I feel when I feel it so that I don’t explode and freak out about it later.
- Spend a little time on yourself – you deserve it! // Sometimes you just need a day for yourself where you put 100% of your efforts into making sure that you are okay. Whether that’s giving yourself some time to relax and catch up on TV, treating yourself to a spa day, or whatever else it may be.
- Don’t be afraid to try new things // This one kind of goes along with number 5…but now I enjoy trying things even if I end up not caring for them too much, at least I gave them a chance.
- Enjoy the little things in life // I used to have a difficult time doing this. If I had a bad day, even the small little things wouldn’t cheer me up. Now I try to focus on having a more positive mindset so that when something good happens, even if it may be a small thing, I embrace it instead of continuing to dwell on the prior negative situation.
- You’re going to have ups and downs, just roll with it // 2015 was kind of a rollercoaster for me but I learned that you’re going to go through highs and lows and that although the lows can be really low, the highs are more than worth it.
- Always have a back up plan // I know this sounds kind of weird, but this is one thing I learned over the past few years. I don’t mean having a back up plan in terms of boys or jobs or anything like that, but in the sense that if you’re ever truly in a bind then you have another option to fall back on.
- Emergency funds are your friend // I had a situation happen at the beginning of 2015 where I wish I would have had more money saved up in my emergency fund so from that day on I vowed to always have an emergency fund just in case anything like that ever happened again.
- You are not a failure if you don’t meet every goal you set for yourself // As an avid goal setter I am always striving to meet and exceed the goals that I set for myself and well, sometimes life gets in the way and I can’t achieve it and it’s not the end of the world.
- Don’t make decisions when you’re angry // Making decisions when you’re angry only leads to feelings of regret whenever you are done being upset and you realize that you may have not made the same decision had you been in a clear state of mind.
- Life isn’t a competition // As someone who can be fairly competitive, it took me quite awhile to learn this lesson.
- Change is always going to happen so you might as well get used to it // I’m not a big fan of change, especially change that leaves me with uncertainty so this is still a lesson that I am learning each day.
- Life is what you make it // If you have a good attitude, life isn’t so bad so that is why I have been embracing positivity more lately.
- Only buy things you absolutely love // I used to buy things just for the sake of it but they ended up sitting in my closet and never worn. Now that I only buy things that I absolutely adore, things get worn a lot more often.
- Work smarter, not harder // I used to procrastinate a lot and then end up stressing out because I had so much to do but not enough time but now that I get things done ASAP, life is a lot less stressful.
- Keep a positive outlook // I used to be a fairly negative person but I decided to be more positive and in turn my life has been much happier and more fulfilling.
- Don’t worry too much // I tend to be a bit of a worry wart so I have learned not to worry as much because there is no use in worrying about things that you can’t control.
- Treat yourself every once in awhile // Buy the shoes or the bag or whatever your heart desires. Sometimes you just need to buy it without thinking about it.
- Always be yourself // This is pretty self explanatory but you should always be yourself no matter what.
I hope that y’all enjoyed reading my 24 lessons in 24 years. If you’re already 24, do you have 24 lessons in 24 years? I hope y’all have a great Monday despite it being everyone’s first full week of work after the holidays.
Become a Breakfast at Lilly's Insider
Sign up today and receive your FREE daily blogging checklist!